Tuesday, April 6, 2010

pictures....

The rest of the pictures I took of henry the other day that turned in to a full on photo shoot.
I started out just taking some of him right out of the tub.  
Then I got crazy and put the white blanket behind him. ha.  Maybe a little ghetto.  
But then I looked at them and loved.  
He has so many facial expressions.  
He looks like someone so much.  But I can't put my finger on it.
Vince?  My dad?  Me?
Maybe all of us. 
Sorry Bronson all he has of yours is your butt chin.
Which I love.
LOVE.
And your ears.





But don't let his good looks fool you.
He is a naughty little baby in the night.
He is almost 6 months old and not sleeping through the night.
I almost had him sleeping through the night before I went to St. George over a month ago.
Ever since that trip...its been bad news.
And I mean bad.
Like waking up more that 5 times in one night screeeaming.  
I have to admit.  Everytime I would hear of someone's baby not sleeping through the night I would think to myself... "duh just let them cry it out and they will figure it out".
I'm doing that.
Its not working.
is he hungry? Am I not feeding him enough?
Thats a sensitive subject for me.
I don't think he's teething.  There are no signs of teeth. 
I need some help.
I don't know when the last time was I got a decent nights sleep.
And by decent I mean a like maybe a 2 hour span of not being woken up.  
I just don't get it.
He puts himself to sleep for his naps and for bed time like a champ.
Why can't he put himself back to sleep when he wakes up in the night.

I do have to say that during the day... he is an angel baby. 
Hardly ever cries.
He's just content to sit there.
Especially if Sam is in sight. 
He loves sam.  Like alot.
Could watch his every move and be entertained all day.
And Sam loves him.
Thank goodness for that.

Any advice for me in the sleeping department?  Sam, by this age was and had been for a while sleeping totally through the night by this age I swear.  Up until now I just thought that everyone else's babies who were not sleeping through the night just had softy parents who couldn't let them cry.  How rude of me. But thats what I really thought.  I was wrong.  
Help.  





7 comments:

Heather B said...

I'm sure you will get some great ideas from a lot of people! I have never been one of the lucky ones whose babies just sleep through the night on their own. I have had to sleep train both my girls. They were both a little different, but I did both of them around 4 months, since that's when the doctor/author said babies don't need to eat anymore at night. That helped me to know-- and it also helped to know that if they weren't eating at night, they will automatically make up for it by eating more calories during the day. And babies between 6-12 months need 45 calories per pound of body weight, per day. So you can do the math to see how much you think he's getting. But enough of that- I really loved this book called The Sleep Easy Solution. It was written by two women who have specialized degrees in sleep disorders- you can read about them here: http://www.sleepyplanet.com/about.html
but they are also mother with their own experiences. They have a unique method of weaning your child off of night time feedings by waking THE BABY up, and feeding him/her while he's half asleep, and then putting him back down to fall asleep. Then, if he cries after that, they leave him alone to figure out how to go back to sleep. They do it several times through the night, and each night cut back on how long they feed for, until you're down to like, a one minute feed every few hours. This gives them a few days to start adjusting to eating more calories during the day. Does that make sense? I don't know if Henry is eating in the middle of the night, but if he is, then that method will help. I couldn't believe how fast it worked- almost like magic. It's like the babies just figure out that when they wake up at night and cry, they aren't going to get rescued, so they have to figure out how to go back to sleep. Ok, this is getting long, but two more things: I would double check and make sure he doesn't have a hidden ear infection that is waking him up at night (my friend's baby was fine during the day, but having major night waking problems, no other symptoms, and it turned out to be a double ear infection) and if it's not an ear infection, then another possibility is being overtired. My other favoritest-sleep-book-of-all-time is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. His method of crying it out is a little TOO harsh for me (and i'm not super worried about it) but the way that book totally changed my life was teaching me how often a baby should sleep during the day- he says a baby should not be awake for longer than 2 hours at a time during the day. I thought he was a little crazy, but he claims that babies who don't get enough sleep during the day produce cortisol, the stress hormone, which keeps them up at night. So that's another possibilty, maybe Henry could use more nap time during the day, even though he is being so good for you during the day (how nice) I know that the 2-hour-awake sleep thing worked amazingly on getting my girls sleeping better at night. Whew. Sorry so long! If either of those things could apply, check out those books, or email me if you want more info. Good luck! It's a hard thing, but I know you will figure it out and get him sleeping through the night!

suzy said...

oh my gosh!!! I love these pictures! makes me want a baby...kinda sorta, just kidding I'll just look at these...but seriously! These are amazing and I love the white bkgrnd and b/w photo! And Your babies ever sleep through the night before they're 18 months old? Humph...i guess I've been doing it wrong :)

Kristen said...

Henry's little chub and smile makes me so baby hungry and excited for my baby to get here! Seriously love him. AND, he looks a TON like you. Totally has your smile and your eyes. Big time.

The sleep department freaks me out. Kate was bad, Jonas was an angel. I'm sooo nervous I'll get a bad sleeper again and I don't think I'll be able to handle it. I'm waaaay too used to sleeping through the night. I can't remember the last time I got up at night? Yikes. Hopefully you discover and awesome trick in case I need it!

erica said...

obsessed with these abby! i love the white!

WIKKY said...

He is soo cute! Love his little butt chin and all!

Emma said...

Abby, those pics are ghetto, they are amazing.
i think he looks like your family.
And my advice for the sleeping situation you would be to let him cry it out but clearly you don't need my advice, nor do you appreciate it now.
I guess I don't have any. Andi was a great sleeper at 3 months and Adella has never woken up at night. I'm totally bragging.

Try benadryl, tylenol.. whiskey?

SmashleyB said...

Wow, those are some freakin cute kids you got there Abs!!!!